- I created RockCairn.com with a number of things in mind.
- Who is my audience.
- Speed (what is the download speed of the average internet user?)
- Finding information which is of interest, and fast.
- Moving through the pages with ease.
- Making the initial page load fast and give immediate direction of where to go next.
- Providing an obvious way to submit questions and suggestions to the Webmaster.
- Providing interesting and eye catching graphics without distracting from the site.
- Providing a good color scheme for the viewer to easily read the pages with.
- Make sure that people can find the web site through the most commonly used search engines.
- A way to keep track of the number of "hits" the site gets.
- The Tools.
- TextMate (on Mac OSX)
- Linux, Apache Server, MySql, and PHP (LAMP).
- Adobe PhotoShop or GIMP.
- Digital Camera and Digital Video recorder.
- Web hosting; current ISP or try www.godaddy.com
- Filezilla to upload/download files on the web site hosting server.
- Interest in learning new technologies.
- Not afraid the make mistakes.
- The Tricks.
- Testing your pages from various browsers (Firefox, Safari, and IE).
- Using the right tool for the job, is it really a table or should CSS positioning be used.
- Adding pictures to the site which are of low page weight (kbs) but link to higher quality images.
- The Domain
- Register a domain name at a place like www.godaddy.com
- Have them host or forward/mask your domain.
- The Resources.
- HTML -w3schools.com
- Style Guides (CSS) -w3schools.com
- Colors -X11 colors,
- Graphics -Fotosearch.com (Stock Photos) -Stay away from animated gifs.